Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What does this have to do with Lent? By Kathleen Gould


Lent this year has coincided, appropriately so I suppose, with a particularly trying time in my life. I decided to end my internship early, due to some ethically questionable happenings, which has resulted in a huge mess. Although I will still graduate in May, I may not have enough hours to be able to sit for my LCP, which has been my plan for the past two years. So, what does this have to do with Lent? This is a good question. Interestingly enough, I find my answer in my dilemma; Lent is a time of darkness,of unknowing. The disciples knew that Jesus died; they heard that he would rise again, but they could not see past the whole drama of his passion and death. Like the disciples, I cannot see past my messy situation. I feel that it must be impossible for things to work out in a good way for me. Despite my limited view, I am aware that there are possibilities that I just can’t see yet. I am waiting for the resurrection; I am waiting for the Light of the World to shine on my life so that I can be open to them any possibilities that are in the darkness right now. This is my Lenten journey.


Kathleen Gould is a native Texan residing in "this great city of Chicago." She is finishing up her Masters in Pastoral Counseling at Loyola University and hopes to be licensed and practice psychotherapy. She also is a nanny on the side for wonderful identical triplet boys.

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen,

    I am moved by your insight and ability to understand that you have a limited view of your situation, though there is hope in spite of it. So often we forget our perspective is limited but God's is all-knowing. Thank you for your thoughts and reminding me that where there is darkness, Light will soon follow. I am praying for you and keep strong!

    God Bless,
    A fellow sister in Christ

    ReplyDelete