Saturday, March 19, 2011

Relationship with God by John Paul Graziano


God is either everything or He is nothing. If God is everything, which I choose to believe, then He is
everywhere. He is inside me, He is inside you, and He is in the space between.

But, although He is always present to my thought and my experience, we are not always in relationship.
A relationship of any nature requires the active participation of each party. The intimate collaboration
that God desires with me requires trust, honesty, commitment, vulnerability, and communication. It
requires hard work. I cannot rely on yesterday’s prayers, insight, or connectedness to bolster my resolve
in the face of today’s challenges of walking the Christian path.

Like any relationship partner, God does not respond merely to florid language or grandiose promises. A
simple act of hitting my knees at night to express my gratitude for the gift of a tiring and confusing, but
authentic, day is all the convincing He needs.

But, He is a hopeless, if too forgiving, romantic. If jilted, He awaits my return. In common Gen-Y social
parlance, some would caution against His becoming a doormat.

Yet, great is His belief: in me.

Endless is His love: for me.

He and I: we.
John Paul currently works for a non-profit organization dedicated to educational and job training opportunities for at-risk youth in LakeCounty. His passions include writing, running, eating good food, and spending time with family. His relationship with God and his faith has changed significantly in the past year. His prayer, discernment, and reflection looks to God, Christ, and the Holy Spirit as friends,companions, and partners. From them he learns love, compassion,understanding, courage and tolerance. They are his role models.

No comments:

Post a Comment