Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thoughts on Lent

Kate DeVries is the Associate Director of the Young Adult Ministry Office. She loves the change in Liturgical Seasons as much as she loves the change from Winter to Spring!

Just before Lent began, we asked several questions related to Lent. Below are some of the answers we received, on two of the questions we posed. We invite you to post your own thoughts below.

1) What comes to your mind when you think about Lent?


A time to pray. Remain quiet. Listen. Rebecca

I think about how Jesus sacrificed SOOO much for us! I also think about fasting and having to "give" something up! Diana

The word "Lent" reminds me of spring both in the literal and in the spiritual sense. As the Easter season approaches, new life returns to the earth as the weather gets warmer. Yet, as Christians we also should be thinking about how Lent is a time to prepare our souls and to be full of hope and joy. It is also a time of turning back to Christ. Elly

2) What do you recommend "doing" or "giving up" this Lent, and why?

This Lent I decided to do alot of spring cleaning, I'm cleaning out everything that I don't want or use anymore and donating it all to charity. I recommend that everybody consider doing this because there are a lot of people in need. Susan.

Evaluate your spiritual life, and kick it up a notch - start small. Perhaps 5 minutes of mental prayer each day and then increase it as you feel you can take more. Don't bite off more than you can chew and keeping resolutions becomes more manageable. Get a prayer buddy. Help each other stay accountable to the resolutions you make during Lent. It's easier to make resolutions and keep them if someone is there to encourage you and keep you accountable. Elly

I am going to go to church one additional day besides Sunday just to stay closer to God and start my day off on the right foot. I am also giving up a few of my favorite foods because it is going to take A LOT of discipline to accomplish this and it is through discipline that great things happen! Diana

Smile at everyone even if it is not reciprocated and say something nice or positive to as many people as possible. Refrain from shopping other than for basic necessities. Pray daily! Give up something that may be an addiction (my case - coffee). Turn people's negative comments into positive ones. Rebecca

I am, by the grace of God, going to give up the snooze button for lent. I usually sleep 20 mins or more past my alarm... (oops!) which usually means I am rushing in the morning. In addition to this, I am going to go to bed earlier and try to be on a more consistent sleep schedule. After all, I need to treat my body well-- it is a temple of the Holy Spirit! Danielle

Thanks to all who shared your thoughts. Aagin, feel free to add your own here.

No comments:

Post a Comment